Sunday, January 25, 2009
Inauguration Day
For me, January 20, 2009 started just like any other day. Though I knew that it was not just any other day, my world did not revolve around the history that was being made that day in Washington D.C. Just like any other weekday, I woke up around 8:30 in the morning, got dressed and ready for the day, and walked to my 9:30 class. After my first two classes that morning I met some of my friends for lunch. I noticed that the TVs in the dining hall were set on Fox News, airing the inauguration festivities of the day. Unfortunately I happened to be sitting with my back facing the TV, so I could not really watch what was going on at that time. After lunch, I continued the rest of my afternoon and evening as I would have on any other Tuesday. That evening I went to dinner with my roommate, Abby, and our friend, Hannah. While we were waiting for the elevator we saw a piece of paper taped to the wall saying that there would be an inauguration celebration in our lounge at ten o’clock that evening. A little before ten, our RA came down the hall and asked us to come to the lounge for some snacks and socializing and so we could watch President Obama’s speech that someone had recorded. So we went and got some snacks and hung out with the people that live on our floor. After a little while, one of the RA’s turned on the speech. It got quiet for a minute, but it did not last very long. Honestly, I stopped paying attention pretty quickly. There was so much going on in the room, I got distracted. Occasionally, somebody would cheer or yell out because of something that President Obama had said. Hannah and I left before the speech was over, because we both had some homework we needed to finish up. After we were done with our homework, we decided to watch the speech from cnn.com. This way we could watch it without the noise and distractions. So we sat in silence and watched him speak. Basically the only movement between us was Hannah nodding her head in agreement every so often. We were both very impressed by the speech; he seemed so down to earth when he spoke. He promised some great things to happen. I really hope those promises are fulfilled.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment